PAY UNTO CAESAR

It is difficult when an individualistic and independent college is suddenly changed into a military camp to change at the same time the characteristics of its individualistic and independent students. Harvard men are notably unapt to bow without reason to constituted authority; in that differing not vastly from other college men, or from non-college men of the younger successful class, for that matter.

One of the hard customs for many men to become inured to is that of rendering the salute to cadet superior officers. It is not because of unwillingness, but of forgetfulness. To many men it borders on affectation to address those who are their friends or their associates with a formal hand salute.

The salute, however, as has been often pointed out, is not a personal recognition but homage to an ideal. The cadet who fails properly to recognize his officers either through carelessness or through a misplaced sense of the incongruous, is not neglecting the particular officer in the case. He is neglecting the mark of loyalty to his service. Behind each officer is the army. And behind the army is the nation.

The cadet should render the salute promptly. He should render it properly. That is part of the tribute he "pays to Caesar." In so doing he is simply fulfilling towards others the courtesy which he must demand, when an officer, that others fulfill towards him.

It makes no difference whether the cadet officer is a club brother, a blood brother, an object of the private's dislike or his indifference. In saluting he is honoring the service, and honoring himself as a part of the service.

Cadet privates are far too lax in observing this obligation. Cadet officers feel compelled to be lax in demanding its observance. It is a small thing; but many small things mark the mediocre from the good officer.