MEN ALREADY ENROLLING FROM OTHER COLLEGES

MORE ENLISTMENTS NEEDED

In addition to the 922 men which at present comprise the Reserve Officers' Training Corps of the University with its band, 307 new men have applied for admission since enlistment reopened after the Easter recess, of whom 234 have been accepted, making a total of 1,156. The remaining 73 have either been rejected because of physical disability or have passed their physical examination and have not completed the last stage of the enrolment at Warren House. More men from the University are needed.

Enlistments are beginning to come in from other colleges in New England. Men have already been accepted from Dartmouth, Brown, Tufts, Boston University, Massachusetts Agricultural College and Exeter, and more enrolments from these and other colleges are expected in the near future.

Statement by President Lowell

President Lowell gave out the following official statement from his office yesterday:

"Acting under the advice of the War Department, and with the assistance of the six French officers so generously sent here by the French Government, Harvard University will maintain its training corps for officers for at least three months, beginning May 8. Students and graduates of Harvard University and of any other university or college in New England, and other persons duly qualified, between the ages of 19 and 35, will be admitted to the training corps up to the number that can be housed and instructed.

"After Commencement members of the Corps will be lodged in College dormitories and the mess will be held in the College dining halls. Before that time special arrangements will have to be made. Owing to the inability of the Government to furnish subsistence, members of the training corps will be obliged to pay for their board, uniforms, and some minor expenses which will all be at the lowest possible cost. Money is being subscribed by alumni to provide for students of the University who are unable to defray their expenses themselves.

"Applications for admission to the Corps should be made as soon as possible to Professor C. N. Greenough, Aid for Assignments, Warren House, Cambridge."

There will be a reception for the six French officers tomorrow evening, given by President and Mrs. Lowell, to which members of the Faculty and their wives will be invited. The Frenchmen will start active work with the Training, Corps next Monday morning.