SPORTS AT BROWN AND FORDHAM TO CONTINUE IN FALL DESPITE WAR

TUFTS DROPS BASEBALL.

Brown University will continue with all forms of athletics when college reopens in the fall, it is announced. Brown is apparently well satisfied with the course pursued this spring of continuing with both baseball and track, and although the teams have been sadly weakened by the loss of numerous stars, the schedules have been carried out and the baseball team will fill its dates up to the close of college.

Prof. F. W. Marvel, director of athletics, said: "We feel that it is a great opportunity to put athletics in its proper place develop new men and give more students an opportunity to participate and compete. Having a university represented by a few stars may win games but the mere winning of games should not be the chief aim and purpose of educational institutions.

"Many colleges gave up their athletic schedules when a few star athletes left, thus weakening their teams. Brown continued. Some gave up because so many games were canceled. We are taking our medicine and are offering students an opportunity to play at this time when there should be something to take up their attention besides the war."

Fordham to Play Football.

Fordham University will make an attempt to restore athletics with the opening of the fall term. It was decided at the last meeting of the athletic committee to play through the football schedule that has been prepared if it was at all possible to get together a team from among the younger men of non-military age when they return in September. The Bronx collegians will be much weaker than a year ago, but it has been agreed that the best way to keep the underclassmen in good physical shape for their future entry into military service is by the extension of sports.

The Tufts College baseball team has been disbanded for the season. The management was unable to secure games for remaining dates left open by cancellation of contests with colleges which suspended baseball on account of the war.