WAR HITS SUMMER SCHOOL

Session Opens July 2 and Militaristic Courses to be a Feature of Curriculum.

The Summer School of the University will open this year Monday, July 2, and will end August 11. Registration will close July 3, and before that time the Summer School Office will be open for registration from 8 o'clock in the morning to 6 o'clock in the evening on the following days: Saturday, June 30, Monday, July 2, and Tuesday, July 3.

War Lectures to be Given.

A new course of lectures of special interest to the general public and to teachers of history in schools will be given by members of the Department of History and by the visiting French officers. These lectures will be entitled "Historical Aspects of the Present War," and for the convenience of the largest possible public they will be given late in the afternoon in the New Lecture Hall. Professor Haskins will have the opening lecture on "The War and the Teacher"; Professor A. C. Coolidge will give ten lectures on "The Historical Antecedents of the War"; Colonel Azan and other officers will describe phases of actual warfare in Europe; Professor Gay will discuss the economic aspects of the war in four lectures; Professor Lord and Dr. Klein will treat the Russian and South American connection; and Professor A. B. Hart, with Professor MacDonald, of Brown University, and others, will consider the more strictly national aspect. A fifth quiz-hour will be added for those who wish to take the course for credit; and a feature will be made of a large collection of books relating to the war, to be assembled in the Widener Library, with classified lists and suggestions for reading and study.

Two courses which are being given in the Graduate School of Business Administration began last Monday. One of these on "Ordnance Stores Keeping," is given by Naval Constructor F. G. Coburn, Mr. H. H. Farquhar and others. The other is on "Military Cost Inspection," and is being given by accountants from Boston firms.

The first of these courses deals with lay-out and construction of storage plants, indexing and shipping goods, out-of-door storage, and special current problems. A large portion of each day will be spent in field work. There are daily meetings from 8 to 10 o'clock in the morning after which the classes will take up the study in the field. A fee of $10 is being charged for this course.

The second of these courses is being given in co-operation with the executive committee of the Certified Public Accountants of Massachusetts, Inc. There are three classes daily, the aim of this course being to train men for cost inspection in factories which have contracts with the Government.