"CALIBAN" ARTISTIC PAGEANT

GRADUATES WILL SUPERVISE ALL SCENIC AND LIGHTING EFFECTS.

The production of "Caliban" at the Stadium the latter part of the month for the benefit of the Red Cross and the University Reserve Officers' Training Corps is an event of more than passing moment. In point of fact, and entirely aside from the objects, it will be one of the most magnificient outdoor dramatic productions ever seen in this section of the country.

In the first place it is a type of production that is wholly new in form, although it includes much in the way of pageantry, dancing groups, and choruses with which the public has become more or less familiar in recent years. Percy MacKaye '97, the author of "Caliban," calls is a "masque," and it probably conforms more nearly in structure to the masque of Shakespere's day, which were produced by the great Elizabethan dramatists for special court occasions than anything that has been done since that time.

But there is much difference between this masque by Percy MacKaye and one of the Elizabethan masques by Ben Jonson. There will be 5,000 people in the cast of "Caliban"; the stage will be built on three levels; the scenic and lighting effects will be of the most artistic type; and the music will be of a character beautifully adapted to the theme and dramatic action.

Motif From "The Tempest."

In this masque Mr. MacKaye has taken the Shakesperian character of "Caliban" in "The Tempest" as a motif, and through the dramatic action and interludes he symbolizes the struggles of mankind through history and dramatic art to higher ideals of civilization. Only out-of-doors could such an ambitious theme with its pictures and tableaux be presented.

One of the best-known producing directors in the world, Frederick Stanhope, has charge of the production. He has devised the stage, has supervised the scenic and lighting effects, and has organized the cast. With him is Irving Pichel '14, formerly with the Castle Square Theatre, one of the best stage craftsmen in the country. The scenery has been worked out by Robert Edmund Jones '10. It fits in every way the bigness of the conception.

Mr. Arthur Farwell has composed the music for "Caliban," and Mr. Shepard, of the New England Conservatory, is the leader of the orchestra of 80 pieces.