THIRD MACHINE GUN HERE

LECTURE ON FIRST AID

Yesterday the University Reserve Officers' Training Corps completed its first month of intensive training, during the course of which time over 1200 men, members of 54 eastern colleges as well as numerous non collegian men of New England, have been given military instruction in the primary duties of an infantry officer. The further elaborate plans which have been perfected for the progressive training of the next two months are being carried out according to schedule.

In addition to the two machine guns which have been presented to the corps, a third gun of the same type has been procured through the activity of P. P. Gould of Company A. With the support of a large subscription from the first battalion it was possible to obtain from the Colt Company a weapon of the model of 1917. This gun was tried out on the range yesterday afternoon at 300 yards and proved to be entirely suitable. Before the companies leave Wakefield each man will have received instruction in the assembling and dissembling, the loading, firing and practical use of a machine gun.

Collection to be Taken for Ammunition.

Inasmuch as it is impossible for the military office to pay for this new gun, or for the ammunition with which to operate it, it will be necessary to take up a collection among the second and third battalions similar to that made by the members of the first battalion several days ago. Detailed announcement of the collection will be made later by the various first sergeants.

Dr. Darling delivered last night the last lecture of his series on first aid. He discussed the nature and first treatment of hemorrhages, burns, and other injuries of a similar nature. Practical first aid work and demonstrations will start in the section meetings in about a week.