The Objections Answered.

Communication

(We invite all men in the University to submit communications on subjects of timely interest, but assume no responsibility for sentiments expressed under this head.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

I am writing this communication as one of the members of the Student Council. The Council, you remember, voted unanimously to adopt the daylight-saving plan.

The two fundamental objections to the plan are: (1) Many of the R. O. T. C. companies drill in the morning. We understand that this hour will be changed and the drills shifted to the afternoon.

(2) Many students who live outside of Cambridge will have difficulty in keeping their early college engagements. Obviously, a decision on this point is not possible until registration for the second half-year. If at that time there are difficulties, the Office will make adjustments.

The minor objections to the plan are:

(1) It will not save much coal. If all the industries of this country must shut down for a total of 15 days, it would seem that any saving of coal, however small, is important.

(2) The men will stay up as late. Many of the reasons for staying up are already gone, and those few "parties" not yet adapted to the new order of things soon will be. Individually, it depends much on will power, and men able to get up for early drill are able to go to bed earlier.

(3) It is merely an advertisement. Let every man who holds this opinion remember that Harvard needs no advertising, no service flag; it already has more men in service than any other university.

What is the real and vital point in favor of the daylight-saving plan? The greatest argument is in its moral effect, and in its bringing home the war to each student. You read one Senior's communication about "sugarless and coal-less" days. Has the Harvard undergraduate ever economized in sugar or coal?

On the contrary, the Harvard undergraduate has not sacrificed anything. His food has been the same; the Liberty Bond he bought came out of a special allowance from home: and the "parties" he has gone on have been as big and vigorous as ever. He has had the comforts that men in service consider luxuries. He has had a good bed, plenty of tobacco and shower baths. The Harvard undergraduate has gone to bed every night knowing that he would probably get up safe in the morning. He has not worried about life. He has not take any risk. And, Yet he doesn't want to get up an hour earlier. At Plattsburg and at Barre last summer he did it, and it didn't hurt.

The President of the United States, through the Fuel Administrator, favors the saving of coal. James J. Storrow, Fuel Administrator of Massachusetts, favors the daylight saying plan at Harvard. President. Lowell favors this plan, as does your Student Council. Let every man who votes today realize that all mature opinion is in favor of the adoption of the daylight-saving plan; let him realize that his vole "yes" is merely an expression of what older men think about the winning of this war, and what be, himself, thinks deep down. RICHARD ROELOFS, JR., '18.