W. H. CHENEY '20 KILLED ABROAD

Death of Lieutenant in Aviation Section Due to Airplane Collision.

Word has been received of the death of Lieutenant William Halsell Cheney '20, a member of the American Aviation Corps serving in France. A cablegram sent by General Pershing announces that the death was due to a collision of airplanes last Sunday over an aviation school maintained by the American Government behind the lines. Lieutenant Cheney was 21 years of age, and previous to his enlisting in the national service lived in Peterboro, N. H. In the same accident two other men were killed, Lieutenant Oliver P. Sherwood of Brooklyn, N. Y., and Private George A. Beach of Fort Collins, Colo.

Cheney prepared at St. Mark's School, from where he was graduated to enter the Freshman Class of the University last year. While a member of the first-year organization he played on the football team and served as secretary-treasurer of the Aero Club. His school career was interrupted when he left College to enlist in the Aviation School of the University of Illinois. There he was a student last summer until his summons was received to embark for France.