CAMBRIDGE TO MAKE CHANGES

Entrance Examinations to be Modified So That Latin and Greek Will Not be Compulsory.

As a result of the stimulus imparted by the war, Cambridge University is contemplating changes which may vary to a great extent the whole system of modern training in English-speaking universities and make provisions for a broader basis for liberal education.

According to the plan proposed, the first of these changes is designed to alter the examination which candidates must pass either before or after entering Cambridge and to make it more in line with the requirements of the modern world. In order to bring this about it has been proposed to abolish the necessity of candidates studying two classical languages. This, however applies only to the "ordinary" courses, as distinguished from the "honor" courses, the latter being for the more brilliant students.

While there is no entrance examination at Cambridge, all candidates are required to pass the so-called "previous examinations" in which, at present, Greek and Latin are both compulsory. It now has been proposed that, instead of compelling the candidates to take two classical languages, two foreign languages should be required in the "previous examinations," of which Latin shall be one; and that the candidate shall have the option of offering as his second foreign language either Greek or French or German. It is felt that the existence of classical entrance scholarships will effectually promote the study of Greek at the university by many of the abler men.

It is not proposed to make the "previous examinations" easier, but to open the avenue to a degree to those who have been educated at universities where two classical languages are not compulsory. When once the "previous examination" is passed the "ordinary" student usually proceeds to take one or more special examinations. It is suggested to increase the number of these and generally to widen the curriculum. New subjects may be introduced and regrouping will probably follow.