MARINE CORPS FLYING UNIT ESTABLISHED HERE

ACTIVE DUTY IN 8 MONTHS

The United States Marine Corps has designated Harvard as one of the twelve stations for a Marine Reserve Flying Corps unit to be established under the organization of the S. A. T. C. Students may be voluntarily inducted into the Marine Corps unit when they have passed the physical examination, provided that they are at least 18 years old and have completed one year at college.

Those enlisting in the unit will spend three months at College; then they will be sent to the ground school at Technology for another three months; from there they will go to the flying ground at Miami, Fla., where they will spend at least one month, probably more. In about eight months they will be prepared for active service as second lieutenants.

Lieutenant Vedder in Charge.

Lieutenant M. W. Vedder, U. S. M. C., is in charge of a recruiting station in Grays Hall, where men can enlist in the unit. He will close enlistments when the quota of 120 men has been reached.

Men within draft age, including men over 21, will be accepted, provided that they have permission to enlist from their local boards.

To date less than 25 men have been accepted for the Marine Corps S. A. T. C. As soon as about 50 have been enrolled in the Corps, the unit will organize along the same general lines as the Army Corps, and the students will live under military discipline. It is planned to have separate barracks and a separate mess hall for the Marine Corps S. A. T. C.