OVER 150,000 MEN WERE INDUCTED INTO THE SERVICE TUESDAY

GRIPPE EPIDEMIC CAUSED POSTPONEMENT OF INDUCTION IN LOCAL COLLEGES TO OCTOBER 10.--NAVAL UNITS AND S. A. T. C.'S AT GREAT MANY UNIVERSITIES.

What is undoubtedly the most momentous week in the history of American universities closed last Tuesday with the exercises held in nearly 500 colleges to commemorate the induction into the army of the United States, of more than 150,000 men. As a result of the grippe epidemic in Massachusetts it was deemed inadvisable by the army authorities to hold inductions in the local colleges, but many thousand men in this state will enter the S. A. T. C. on October 10.

At all institutions the program of induction was the same and included the taking of the oath by all students, the reading of the orders of the day, and the reading of messages from President Wilson, acting Secretary of War, Benedict Crowell, and General Peyton C. March, Chief of Staff. The President, in appealing to the new members of the army to pledge their lives to the freedom of humanity, said:

"There can be no doubt of the issue. The spirit that is revealed and the manner in which Americans responded to the call is indomitable. I have no doubt that you will use your utmost strength to maintain that spirit and to carry it forward to the final victory that will certainly be ours."

At all the colleges throughout the country the final ceremony of induction was merely the culmination of a week of organization and military and academic preparation. Virtually every institution has completely revised its curriculum to conform to the requirements of the War Department, and within the next few days it is expected that the new order of things will be working smoothly.

Nearly 2500 Men at Yale.

At New Haven last Thursday Yale began its 219th year fully mobilized for the stern work at hand with an enrolment close to 2500 men, of whom only about 300 are in the university's non-military group. The other 2200 are registered among the many branches of national service and before the year is out their number will probably be increased to nearly 6000. There is at New Haven the only college artillery unit in the country, while the Sheffield Scientific School is the Army laboratory centre, and the Yale Naval Unit is so far the largest established. At present the enrolment in the S. A. T. C. is divided as follows: artillery, 600; naval unit, 500; laboratory corps, 300; signal corps, 200; and medical unit about 100. The university's exactions of the entering student are as strict as ever and it has declined to admit any who have not passed the college entrance board examinations.

Columbia Training Engineers.

At Columbia all dormitories have been converted into barracks and the registration there will probably be the cause of the largest registration the university ever had. Besides the regular military work, Columbia has set itself the task of training skilled engineers in a two-year course. The new course will take up all branches of engineering and will be open to students with the customary high school education. Naturally it will run through the four quarters of the year. Under the present arrangements the new engineers will be given a special status with the regular S. A. T. C.

All quotas Full at Princeton.

Princeton University too has the largest number of men on its campus in its history. The total number of students and soldiers now training at Princeton is already about 2500 or more than 1000 above its regular enrolment in peace times. Many of these men will be enrolled in the school of Military Aeronautics and the new Paymasters' School instituted by the Navy, where instruction will be given exclusively by officers detailed by the Army and Navy Departments. As the university possesses particular facilities in the matter of rifle ranges, trench systems, dormitories, and large new dining halls where men can be fed and housed in large groups there has been a great rush of applicants and the quotas of all units are now filled.

Record Number Expected at Tech.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology, with 1700 already in the S. A. T. C. expects a record enrolment after the present quarantine is lifted. As part of its war service the institute graduated last week a class of 155 men eight months sooner than usual, the extra time having been gained by working during the summer vacation period. Several new barracks have just been completed for the housing of the Technology soldiers.

Brown University is filled to capacity and a new schedule calling for a ten hour work day has been laid out. Tufts College has been named as the sixth college in Massachusetts to have a naval unit, the others being; Harvard, Technology, Boston University, Holy Cross College, and Worcester Polytechnic Institute. The other New England schools in which similar units have been enrolled are: Connecticut, Yale; Maine, University of Maine; New Hampshire, Dartmouth and New Hampshire College; Rhode Island, Brown; Vermont, University of Vermont.

The S. A. T. C. at Bowdoin now numbers 400. Men at this college will be housed in college dormitories converted into barracks and eat in groups of 50 at the various chapter houses which have been taken over for the purpose.