HOSPITAL WORKERS WANTED FOR SERVICE WITHIN STATE

Opportunity for Students to Enlist for Work in Emergency Relief Cases Only.

The Massachusetts State Emergency Hospital at the Commonwealth Armory is affording an opportunity to members of the University who are willing to offer their services at the armory as orderlies, wardmasters or ambulance drivers. The service is only for emergencies, and it is understood that all men who enrol in this work will be expected to serve only in such cases. Men will be enlisted in the service as privates, but all will be given a chance to rise in rank by competitive examination after a short period of training.

The Emergency Hospital Unit has been established by Massachusetts to meet all necessities for hospital work arising from sources within the state such as fires, explosions and wrecks, or other maritime accidents taking place off the coast. The personnel of the unit is under the direct charge of Lieutenant Colonel Harold Giddings, U. S. M. R. C., who has been responsible for the erection of the up-to-date hospital within the drill hall of the Commonwealth Armory.

Early Promotion Possible.

All applications for enrolment in the corps have been placed under the charge of Dr. David H. Gibson, of the Tufts Medical School. He has announced that those who are willing to join the unit as privates will be promoted upon passing a suitable examination.

In accepting men for this work, preference will be given to those who have had experience in medical schools or to men who have seen service in military hospitals or as ambulanciers either in this country or abroad. Volunteers for this service will drill one hour each week without compensation, but when on active duty all members of the corps will be paid by the state, according to his rank, for time spent in the service.