ABANDON CAMP OWING TO WAR

DECISION MADE TO DISCONTINUE ENGINEERING WORK FOR SUMMER.

The decision has been reached by the University authorities that the engineering camp at Squam Lake, N. H., cannot be continued this summer. This determination was arrived at after attempts had been made by the officials of the School of Engineering and Mining to make arrangements by which the camp could be maintained, and after 30 men had petitioned to enroll in the summer work.

Not Enough Applicants.

The reason for the action is that 30 men was not a sufficient number to justify the maintenance of an expensive engineering camp. The high cost of supplies, the difficulty in obtaining the labor necessary to keep the grounds in condition, and the obstacles in the way of engaging the services of an adequate body of instructors, would make the continuance of this branch for a limited number impracticable. The camp was originally designed to accommodate a large number of men and contains quarters, classrooms and drafting rooms sufficient for the use of 150 students. Because of war conditions and the large expense involved in running the camp it was decided that it would be unwise to add such a large deficit to the University's treasury. The summer work, was also abandoned last year because of the war for the first time in 25 years, but the authorities expect that it will be resumed after the war, when conditions have changed sufficiently to justify its maintenance.

It was thought for a time that arrangements could be made by which men who have signed up for the work next summer could attend one of the camps usually held by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. It was found, however, that the training given there in surveying, engineering and mining is not suited to the needs of the men studying in the engineering school of the University. Moreover, a majority of the 30 men who registered are taking only elementary courses in engineering. For those men, however, who want to prepare for the engineering profession next year, special arrangements will be made, and they will be provided for in some way by the University. All such men may obtain further information on this subject by consulting with Professor H. J. Hughes