JOURNALISTIC CAMOUFLAGE

In these days of censorship, rumor and uncertainty the American journal has found a ripe field for the interpretation of news according to its own desires. Given any bit of information from abroad, a casual glance at the morning papers will discover no end of variation in its presentation and emphasis. Moreover, in the last year there has been combined with this a spirit of artificial patriotism which attempts to make all news good news. In huge headlines we see that the French have advanced, while below, in some obscure corner, it is asserted that the Germans have made no appreciable gain. A glance at the map, however, shows the importance of these events to be just the reverse. In editorials and in the presentation of all news, the glory and success of our arms is almost without exception maintained. The public is fed up on the rosy aspect of events, no matter what the truth of the situation may be.

Now we believe in optimism and in an encouragement of the nation in its present cause. But we maintain that a distortion of news to inflate the spirits of the people serves no good purpose. When the outlook is dark, as it now is, it should be known, so that our energies may be redoubled. This is the people's war. It is only fair that they know which way the tide is turning. Moreover, our purpose is sincere enough not to require a misleading encouragement. We need not be patted on the back by sentimental expressions of the "nobility of our cause" which are insincere and almost repel us from a belief in what we are fighting for. We need less motion picture patriotism and journalistic camouflage and more honest effort and sound support of our Government. Our strength lies in truth. When thousands of British are falling it does no good to assert in huge headlines that "American Troops Stop Germans." It appeals to a selfish national pride, but does little toward winning the war.