PROHIBITIONISTS MEET TODAY

DELEGATES FROM 23 COLLEGES HERE FOR TWO-DAY CONFERENCE.

More than 100 delegates representing 23 colleges will assemble today in Phillips Brooks House for the annual convention of the Intercollegiate Prohibition Association of Southern New England. Two sessions are on the program for this afternoon and evening, while three more will be held tomorrow. All meetings are open to the public. Seven prominent prohibitionists will address the convention during the two days. Saturday evening at 7.30 the annual oratorical contest will take place. O. G. Peterson, Uc., will be the only representative of the University.

Owing to his failure to return in time from France, Daniel E. Poling, associate president of the United Society of Christian Endeavor, will be unable to speak tonight. His place will be taken by President Lemuel H. Murlin of Boston University, who has chosen as his subject, "Seventeen Years of Practical Experience with Prohibition."

Will Open at 3.30.

The convention will be opened at 3.30 o'clock this afternoon by Arthur Beane '11. At 4 o'clock Corporal George Steward, of Camp Devens, will discuss prohibition from the point of view of the soldier. The relation of the liquor traffic to other social problems will be taken up by Professor L. J. Johnson, of the Engineering Department at M. I. T., who will speak at 4.30 o'clock.

Announcement of the men's colleges who will be represented has been made as follows: Amherst, Boston University, Clark, Dartmouth, Hartford Theological Seminary, M. I. T., Massachusetts Agricultural, New Hampshire State, Rhode Island State, Springfield Y. M. C. A., Vermont, Williams, Worcester Polytechnical Institute, Yale and the University.

Approximately 500 educational institutions are now represented in the association. This year the I. P. A. is emphasizing in its work the relation of prohibition to an effective fighting unit.