SHOULD BORROW ONLY FROM OUR OWN PEOPLE

SUBSCRIBE IN RIGHT WAY

In an interview with a CRIMSON reporter yesterday, Major General Leonard Wood, M.D. '84, issued the following statement in regard to the Liberty Loan Drive:

Every nation, when it has to borrow money, should borrow it from its own people. That is what this country is doing through the Liberty Loans. Money is needed now in great quantities. The Loan is a good investment and is as secure as the Government itself. And, finally, the purchase of Liberty Bonds helps the conduct of the war, and that is the primary reason for investing in them. You should all help make this loan a success with a view to aiding materially in winning the war.

I left France one month ago, and at that time the British and French were full of confidence, and our troops were keen and eager to join in the action. This is going to be a long, hard war. We can win, and we will win; but it means everybody behind the Government with everything they have: material things and spiritual force.

Article by G. A. Clark.

Further information as to the type of subscription preferred by the Government is afforded in the following article written for the CRIMSON by G. A. Clark, of White, Weld and Company, who spoke before the University Liberty Loan Committee last week:

"This Liberty Loan campaign presents two problems to the workers. The first is to get all the subscriptions possible; the second is to get subscriptions of the right quality.

"Modern warfare involves the maximum contribution to the labor and material resources of a nation. The available labor and material resources are fixed within relatively narrow limits. In order to do our part in this war the existing labor supply must be transferred in as great a degree as possible to the production of materials necessary for the maintenance of civilian life and the production of war materials in the greatest possible volume.

"To the extent that individuals buy unnecessary things, that is, wearing apparel, jewelry and food, they are depriving the Government of labor which can be employed in the production of ammunition, rifles, automobiles, food-stuffs, etc., necessary to the maintenance and operation of an army. On this account the duty of each individual citizen is not only to subscribe to the limit of his ability, but also to resolve to pay that subscription out of a reduced expenditure for living purposes. Subscriptions for Liberty Bonds made in this way not only give the Government a means of purchasing war materials, but also release materials and labor for war uses."