OVERSEERS PROMOTE THREE TO FULL PROFESSORSHIPS

2 MORE ENTER SERVICE

At a meeting of the University Board of Overseers on Tuesday three members of the Medical Faculty were appointed as full professors. Richard Clarke Cabot '89, M.D. '92, formerly Assistant Professor of Medicine, was elected Clinical Professor of Medicine. Eugene Anthony Crockett, M.D. '91, formerly Assistant Professor of Otology, was made Le Compt Professor in that department. Franklin Spilman Newell '92, M.D. '96, also formerly an assistant professor, was promoted to Clinical Professor of Obstetrics.

Dr. Cabot, after graduation from the University Medical School in 1892, became practising physician, but soon became connected with the Massachusetts General Hospital. In 1899 he first became associated with the University as an Assistant at the Medical School. He was appointed as Instructor there in 1903, and five years later became an Assistant Professor. He is at present in France as a member of Base Hospital Unit No. 6, the personnel of which is largely made up from the staff of the Massachusetts General Hospital.

Dr. Crockett, though not a graduate of the College, entered the Medical School in 1887 and was graduated in 1891. Since 1895 he has been connected with that institution first as an instructor and then as Assistant Professor. He spent a number of months last year as a member of a Red Cross Mission in Europe.

Dr. Newell was graduated from the University with the Class of 1892 and from the Medical School four years later. Aside from his connection with the Medical School he has also been associated with the Boston Lying-In Hospital.

Three Assistant Professors were also named. Edwin Allen Locke, M.D. '01, formerly Instructor in Medicine, was made Assistant Professor of Medicine. Edward Skinner King was reappointed as Assistant Professor of Astronomy at the Observatory, and Willard Peabody Gerrish as Assistant Professor of Me- chanical Engineering at the Observatory.

The Overseers confirmed a leave of absence for war work for Professor Roger Bigelow Merriman '96, who for some time has been in the Officers' Reserve Corps and recently was commissioned as Captain for Ordnance.

Two other members of the Faculty have also just entered Government service. MacIver Woody '07, Secretary of the Medical Faculty, has left his work to enter the Medical Corps and Wolfert Gerson Webber '09, M. D. '13, Charles Follen, Folsom Teaching Fellow in Hygiene, of the Department of Preventive Medicine and Hygiene, has been commissioned in the Medical Reserve Corps