MILITARY SCIENCE 1

When the military courses for the present year were announced last fall, there was much comment when it was discovered that Military Science 1 was to count only as a half course, whereas Military Science 2 was to be equivalent to a whole course. The minimum of five hours per week was proclaimed for both courses and this minimum has in each case been exceeded during the year. The two courses have always been considered of equal importance; the only difference has been that one is elementary and the other somewhat more advanced. Why, therefore, should not the members of the former course receive equal college credit with the members of the latter?

Perhaps the intention was to give the advanced course men extra credit because of their attendance at the Barre camp last summer. Allowing this to be an entirely fair and just reward, nevertheless should a course which requires twice as many hours of work as a regular college course count only as the equivalent of half such a course?

Academic minds may argue that military drill is not precisely part of a liberal education as it is a physical and not a mental process. Let such persons take part in one maneuver and see if their mental activity is not greater than it would be in an I.D.R. class.

The men of Military Science 1 have done the work of two courses and are to receive credit for a half course. They have done their work thoroughly and some have risen to high rank in the regment. There is but one moral: the Faculty should immediately pass a retroactive resolution making Military Science 1 a whole course for the year 1917-18.