DRIVE WELL UNDER WAY

BOSTON'S QUOTA $4,000,000

No totals for the first day of the University Red Cross drive were available for publication this morning. Indications however, from the committee chairmen made it certain that large sums had been collected, even though all members of the committees had not reported the results of their canvassing.

In Boston many mass meetings were held throughout the Metropolitan District in the interest of the Red Cross. Chairman Webster, in charge of the Boston drive for the Second Red Cross War Fund, issued a statement calling for $4,000,000 from the city, a 33 percent over subscription of the minimum quota. He also refuted charges of large administrative expenses in the management of the Red Cross in the following words:

"Regarding the $100,000,000 we are now seeking, it is unnecessary to say more than that every penny of it will be expended for war relief, and that these expenditures will be audited by the War Department.

"Here and there one hears the mischievous suggestion that the administration costs of the Red Cross absorb about 70 percent of these contributions. This is a downright lie. Not one penny of the money contributed to war relief will be deducted for administration expenses. These expenses are very small, as a matter of fact, because 90 percent of the Red Cross workers give their services absolutely without charge, and the small necessary expenses are more than covered by the membership dues."