LUXURIES AND ESSENTIALS

The production of the modern industrial world consists of two classes of articles: essentials and luxuries. Before the war the latter were very common. They are now becoming more scarce, as nations realize that they must economize and live on the bare necessaries of existence. The war has made economy the watch-word of human actions. The luxuries and non-essentials of society must be curtailed so that raw materials will not be drawn away from more useful channels of war production and so that labor will not be engaged in producing articles of no immediate value. The complexity of modern life and the need of preparing for after-the-war reorganization, however, must necessarily limit these restrictions upon non-essential production.

The luxuries of life are relative to the character and station of people, to the location and temperament of nations, and to the advancement of civilization. To the poor an automobile is a luxury; to the business man or statesman it is a necessity. Fur coats are indispensable in Norway while they are far from necessary in the more temperate regions of the earth. A Hottentot considers the necessaries of civilization the height of luxury. When interpreted in this light there are few things of daily life which do not in some way answer important needs of society.

In another way the limitations upon luxuries must be tempered by a consideration of possible effects upon our industrial organization. To prohibit suddenly the manufacture of certain articles would be to throw numbers of men out of work, to render families dependent, and to demoralize the whole nation. The process must be a gradual one which will recognize that society cannot be reorganized in a day.

Finally, we must see that the war will some day end, and that at that time the status of peace with all its normal workings must be resumed. We must curtail all the non-essentials of ordinary life to as great an extent as the war demands. We must at all times remember, however, that in maintaining as much of a peace organization as is compatible with war-time needs, we will be effectively preparing for the future.

"Business as usual" is a fallacy of great detriment to the war's prosecution. An entire elimination of real and seemingly real non-essential production is equally out of place. War is not peace but it must not be made a negation of the advancement of modern civilization. For greater efficiency both at present and in the future a curtailment of luxuries must be carried on in a wholesome recognition of the refinements and practical needs of society. Discourage non-essentials, but appreciate these fundamental facts.