MEMORIAL DEDICATED TO WILLIAM HENRY MEEKER '17

LIFE OF GREAT PROMISE

The Memorial Library of William Henry Meeker '17, of New York City, was dedicated in the CRIMSON Sanctum last evening. The speakers were G. C. Barclay '19, President, and F. E. Parker, Jr., '18, ex-President, of the CRIMSON, Dean Yeomans, Professor Copeland and Meeker's father, Mr. Henry E. Meeker '89. All spoke of the young man's brilliant career in college, his great promise, and his splendid death.

Meeker was killed in an aviation accident at Pau, France, on September 11, 1917, while preparing for active service as a member of the Lafayette Escadrille. While an undergraduate he was President of the CRIMSON and an editor of the Advocate.

It was his wish that his library should be installed in the Sanctum, and his father sent the entire collection, with an additional set of reference and other books, early this winter. Among the volumes are complete sets of Dickens, Thackeray, Scott, Stevenson, Tolstoi, Turgenieff, Austen, Pol, Kipling, Hugo, Warner, Lowell, Holmes, Smollett, Fielding, Chaucer, de Maupassant, O. Henry, Pope, Burns, Spenser, Eliot, Hawthorne, Bulwer, Lever, Harte, and Voltaire.

The Encyclopedia Britannica and complete editions of the "Spectator" and "Tatler" are also included.