Labor's Successful Diplomacy.

COMMENT

The return of the American Labor Mission, which, representing the Federation of Labor, has visited Great Britain and France, marks the completion of an errand whose importance can hardly be overestimated. Both as to the character of the delegates and the manner in which they carried themselves, sometimes under great provocation, our principal organization of workingmen is to be congratulated. No trained diplomatists could have done better. No other Americans in any walk of life could have exhibited a loftier patriotism.

These men had something more to say to the trade-unionists of Great Britain and France than that organized labor in the United States is pledged to the last man and the last dollar in support of the war. Their mission abroad comprehended also the assurance to working-men everywhere that there is no sympathy in this country with the extremists and visionaries, deriving their inspiration chiefly from German sources, who hope by an inconclusive peace to instigate a war of classes and repeat on a larger scale the follies which in Russia have protrated industry and for the time being defeated democracy.

Our Labor Mission has spoken with authority, and, according to all accounts, its message has been received approvingly and hopefully by most of the workingmen of Great Britain and France, who, like our own, see no prospect of justice or progress in autocratic militarism or in intolerable anarchy. --New York World.