UNIVERSITY OARSMEN WON FROM ELIS ON HOUSATONIC BY TWO FULL LENGTHS

TIME CONSIDERED FAST

The University crew in its final race of the season, defeated the Yale eight on the Housatonic River Saturday, finishing two boat lengths ahead. Ten minutes and 56 seconds was their time for the two-mile course, as compared with 11 minutes and 11 seconds, that of Yale. Though there are no previous records for this new course, the time is regarded as fast.

The race did not start until the arrival of the crowd from the Yale-Harvard baseball game, so that it was 6.45 o'clock before the crews were started. For the first mile the race was close, with Yale holding a small lead despite the fact that the University crew was rowing a pace from two to four strokes higher than her 32.

At the mile and a quarter flag, however, the Crimson boat gradually crept up, and with the stroke considerably increased, Captain Emmet drove his crew ahead. Yale attempted to keep the pace but failed, and the University soon had clear water. From this point on the outcome of the race was never in doubt. Yale exerted every effort, but at the finish there was a length of clear water betwen the two shells.

Oarsmen Handicapped by Heat.

Knox and Adams in the Yale boat toppled over exhausted, but were soon revived. J. F. Linder '19 of the University crew succumbed to the heat, but was aided from his seat upon reaching the float. Though the calm water was ideal for rowing, the intense humidity and lack of breeze caused the oarsmen great suffering.

The University, having been given the choice of courses, rowed that on the west which gave Yale the longer turn on the last bend in the river just above the last half-mile flag. This advantage was balanced, however, by the heavier shell in which the Crimson was forced to now.

The two crews rowed in the following order:

University: Stroke, Captain R. S. Emmet '19; 7, F. B. Whitman '19; 6, D. L. Withington, Jr., '20; 5, F. Parkman '19; 4, C. F. Batchelder, Jr., '20; 3, J. F. Linder, Jr., '19; 2, J. S. Coleman '19; bow, R. H. Bowen '20; cox., C. Reynders '20.

Yale: Stroke, Captain Hyatt; 7, Mead; 6, Austin; 5, Adams; 4, Knox; 3, Vail; 2, Munson; bow, McHenry; cox., Knott.