UNIVERSITY UNION IN PARIS CALLS YEOMANS

SAILS WITHIN FEW WEEKS

Dean Henry Aaron Yeomans, '00, has received the appointment of Assistant Director of the American University Union in Paris, and will sail for France within the course of a few weeks. The date of Dean Yeoman's sailing will be determined in part by the length of time it will take for him to procure his passports for which he is now arranging. An acting Dean will shortly be appointed by President Lowell. The duration of Dean Yeoman's absence has not been definitely determined.

Dean Yeomans graduated from the University in 1900. He received the degree of A.M. the following year, and in 1904 the degree of LL.B,. He was a lecturer and instructor in Government at the University from 1910 to 1912, and that year was made an Assistant Professor of Government. Later in the same year he was appointed Assistant Dean of the College. In the fall of 1916 he entered upon his duties as Dean following the resignation of Dean Hurlbut.

Union Opened October, 1917.

His new post in the American University Union is a most important one. This Union was opened on October 20, 1917 in Paris at the Royal Palace Hotel. It was organized by the universities and colleges of this country, each one paying an enrolment fee for its maintenance. A great many colleges joined, and many maintain separate bureaus under its supervision. The University Bureau has been under the direction of James H. Hyde '98.

Since its establishment the University Union has become the centre for all American college men when they are in Paris. It has served as a club, meeting place, and bureau of information for college men in the American Army and Navy; and its reputation among men in the service is high.

A number of Harvard men have been closely connected with its administration since it was organized, and Anson Phelps Stokes, Secretary of Yale, has served as its president for some time. The position and ability of the men who have administered its affairs have accounted in a large degree for the great influence it has had on the morale of the college men who are overseas