SCHOLARSHIPS

It appears that men returning to College at this time are to receive only a part of the scholarships that were awarded them for the academic year of 1918-19. The College authorities believe that if a man is only here for two-thirds of the year he should receive his scholarship proportionately for that time. It is also believed that it would be unfair to men who have been here since last September, if the full amount of scholarships were awarded to those who are returning at this time.

In practically all cases these men who are returning to college life have a large expense to defray in procuring civilian clothing and other non-military equipment. The sudden termination of the war has financially embarrassed large numbers of undergraduates who have been in the service only for the short time since the draft age was lowered. The small amount of pay did not suffice to cover, in many cases, the deficit caused by lack of remuneration for expenses to and from Cambridge, which was the point of enrolment of the S. A. T. C. There were also many cases where college men were commissioned shortly before the armistice, and had little or no officers pay to cover the expense of uniforms and equipment.

In final consideration, it must be remembered that all the scholarships are endowed; thus the College loses nothing by awarding the full amount of the scholarship. Furthermore, the men who have held scholarships since last September have had no heavy military expenses.

It seems therefore that the attitude maintained by the College is not unreasonable, but in consideration of the phenomenal exigencies of the present situation, as have just been pointed out, a reconsideration of the policy of not awarding the returned soldiers the full amount of their scholarships would seem both desirable and justifiable.