PARADE OF SURGICAL UNIT TODAY IN BOSTON

ARRIVES IN CITY AT 2

The Harvard Surgical Unit under the leadership of Hugh Cabot A.B. '94, M.D. '98, will arrive at the North Station this afternoon about 2 o'clock. It will parade through Boston to Liberty Cottage on the Common, where the surgeons and nurses will be received by Governor Coolidge and his staff, Mayor Peters '85, Rear Admiral Wood and General Edwards.

The unit was established under Sir Allan Perry of the English Army at Dannes-Camieres near Boulogne in June, 1915. It was one of a large number of hospitals which stretched south for twenty miles along the seashore road from Boulogne. Most of the British supplies were landed and stored in this district which, consequently, drew an almost continual flock of enemy bombing machines.

In February, 1917 Col. Cabot definitely took over the unit which had increased from five hundred and forty to three thousand beds. By far the larger number of the patients were British and Canadians who had been wounded in the fighting around Ypres. At one time, during the German offensive of March, 1918, twelve hundred patients were received by the unit within twenty-four hours.

As far as is known, this unit was the only British military organization of any kind which was commanded by Americans in the British service. The work of the unit was praised several times by British officers of high rank.