OUTLAWED LABOR.

Radical labor is taking the bit in its teeth; it is breaking away from the control of its leaders. More and more is this fact being made evident. A few days ago, when the president of the Longshoreman's Association appeared before his organization to call off the strike that has paralyzed shipping in New York, he was mobbed; and it was only with difficulty that he escaped uninjured. A similar situation exists in the New York publishing business, where an outlaw organization of typesetters has broken with its officers and tied up the magazines to such an extent that many periodicals cannot publish their November issues.

The public holds the remedy for this alarming situation. If the people throw their support on the side of the labor leaders, rebellious labor will see that it is battering against a stone wall. Many people consider that labor unions are not a good institution, yet a man must be deaf and blind not to realize that organized labor, under the leadership of a conservative American Federation of Labor, is far preferable to outlaw, radical labor drifting rapidly toward Anarehy and I. W. Weism.

It is time for people to stop cursing the recognized labor leaders; in them the immediate destiny of the nation rests. Given public support, they will be able to restrain their bolting subordinates. But if this support is not given, the country is laying itself open to radical inroads, leading we know not where.