FOREIGN DRAMAS CHOSEN FOR DRAMATIC CLUB PRODUCTION

READ PLAYS AT 3.30 TODAY

The Dramatic Club has chosen for its first production under its new policy of staging plays by foreign authors that have not been given in this country, Lord Dunsany's latest play, a one-act comedy, "Fame and the Poet," and Holberg's Erasmus Montanus," or "Jeppe," a comedy translated from the Danish by the late Frederick Schenck '09 and O. J. Campell.

The comedies of Holberg were the first and greatest of the Scandinavian theatre. They have been translated into all the languages of continental Europe, and are still played on the modern stage, especially in Copenhagen, to large audiences.

Holberg Noted Danish Dramatist.

Holberg was the founder of Danish literature and is considered the first writer of his time with the exception of Voltaire. He came into Danish literature at a time when it was said, "a man wrote Latin to his friends, talked French to the ladies, and called his dogs in German, and only used Danish to swear at his servants." Before his death he had established a theatre, supplied it with comedies, and contributed masterpieces of poetry, and essays. His plays are of universal interest due to his extensive travels. It was while he was a student at Oxford that he first conceived the idea "how splendid it would be to take a place among the authors." The Dramatic Club's production will be the first time that one of his plays have been staged in America, as far as can be learned from the records.

Lord Dunsany's "Fame and the Poet," written this year, has not yet been staged, and the author, on his recent visit to Boston, gave the Dramatic Club the right to give it its initial performance.

Candidates Called Today

The plays will be read this afternoon at 3.30 in Peabody Hall, Phillips Brooks House, to members and candidates. Candidates for all departments are expected to attend. Acting trials will be held Thursday and Friday, and appointments may be made at the reading. The performances in Cambridge will be on December 9, 10 and 11, and in Boston on the 12th, the Wilbur Theatre having been engaged for the purpose. Plans for out of town productions will be announced later.

The Dramatic Club is especially anxious for Freshman and Sophomore candidates. Experience in any of the competions--acting, stage managing, publicity, lighting, scenery designing and business managing is not essential, but no candidates will be admitted to the competitions after the reading today