FRESHMEN SUCCUMB TO HEAVIER TIGER TEAM

BERGEN RUNS 80 YARDS

In a game hard fought from start to finish, the Princeton Freshmen on Saturday clearly outplayed the Crimson yearlings by a score of 13-0. With a series of fast end runs, smashes at tackle, and a clever assortment of well-executed passes, the Tiger cubs dazzled the hitherto unbeaten Freshmen.

The Crimson, however, showed two brilliant bits of defense. Twice they held the Orange and Black for four downs within their five-yard line. Gilroy, the big Princeton half-back, was the individual star of the game, and time after time crashed through tackle for long gains. The work of the Tiger ends, Jones and Sniveley, was also remarkable, and their interference was the best that has been seen in any Freshman game this year. The longest single run was made by Bergen, who plowed through the line for 80 yards for the final touchdown.

The Crimson Freshmen, with four of their best players on the sidelines, were outweighed by more than 10 pounds to a man, but put up a good defensive flight, and in the last quarter twice threatened the Tiger goal. W.H.Churchill, C.C. Buell, G. Owen and H. W. Clark were the bulwark of a defense that kept down what might have been a larger score.

Gorman Scores Touchdown.

During the first period the ball was continually in Harvard territory, the close of the quarter showing the Tigers ready for a score on their opponents' nine yard line. As the second period started, Gorman shot a pass to the one-yard mark, and then himself dove across the line for the first score of the game. Captain Holmes missed a difficult goal.

In the third period the Tigers rushed the Freshmen off their feet, but no score was made until the middle of the quarter, when Bergen got clear for his 80-yard run. The interference given him was the best shown at any time during the game. Holmes kicked the goal.

From then until the end of the game the Freshmen opened up their attack with a variety of forwards and wide end runs.

The summary: HARVARD 1923.  PRINCETON 1923. Selden, Thayer, l.e.  r.e., Jones, Gray Ladd, Bancroft, l.t.  r.t., Holmes Wood, Cooper, Post, l.g.  r.g., Towers Clark, c.  c., Lipsombe, Richie Fiske, Self, Cogan, r.g.  l.g., Taylor Lee, Shaw, r.t.  l.t., Rutan Hartley, Worthington, r.e.  l.e., Sniveley Buell, q.b.  q.b., Gorman Churchill, Kennedy, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Jennings, Euwer Cummings, Dempsey, Wilson, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Gilroy Owen, f.b.  f.b., Cleaves, Bergen, Croft

Score Princeton 1923, 13; Harvard 1923, 0. Touchdowns--Gorman, Bergen. Goal from touchdown--Holmes. Referee H. C. McGrath, Boston College. Umpire--N. A. Tufts, Brown, Head linesman--H. Butterfield. Field judge--J. Pendleton, Bowdoin.