AMERICA MUST HELP REMEDY CHAOS IN RUSSIA--WALPOLE

MADE EDITOR OF LAMPOON

"It is the salient duty of every American to help remedy Bolshevism and the terrible conditions now existing in Russia," said Hugh Walpole in the Living Room of the Union last evening. Mr. Walpole explained that he drew this conclusion from his experiences in Russia during the war. He spoke also of his early literary training in school and college.

The novelist began by emphatically vetoing the prevalent idea that the traditional advice of literary men to ambitious writers is to avoid such a career. "If you wish to write, do so," he said. "If you fail you will soon find out, and in all events you will enjoy yourself."

Mr. Walpole then went on to say something of the literary London of prewar days. "Henry James was the one man in London who changed the whole trend of English novel writing" said Mr. Walpole. "Mr. James made people wonder whether the things about which they were writing were worth while."

In concluding, the speaker reiterated his statement that whatever way Russia goes, the future life of America will be changed by it.

At a meeting of the Lampoon Board last evening Mr. Walpole was elected an honorary editor.