Just Indignation

Communication

(The Crimson invites all men in the University to submit signed communications of timely interest. It assumes no responsibility, however, for sentiments expressed under this head and reserves the right to exclude any whose publication would be palpably inappropriate.)

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

For over three years I have known Mr. Pond, and had the utmost respect for his views and ideals. But when he states that the action of the House of Representatives in refusing to seat Victor L. Berger drives him to direct action, which is nothing less than extreme socialism, I can only feel that his sense of extreme precision in justice has o'erleapt itself.

Victor L. Berger, Milwaukee editor, convicted of conspiring against the United States, was refused a seat in Congress by a vote of 309 to 1. Congress has not said that "we will allow only men who agree with us to debate with us," but Congress has, with thoroughly justifiable indignation, refused to permit the contamination of the national legislative body by admitting to it a man who has served a prison sentence for treason against the United States government in war time, and whose "ideals" are confessedly unchanged. I grant that the man is probably sincere; sincere people are the most dangerous. Mr. Pond has undertaken to defend a man whose conduct renders him indefensible. J. G. CURTIS '22.