BELGIAN DESCRIBES VISIT OF ROYALTY TO UNIVERSITY

Member of Albert's Household Tells of Experiences Here--"Cambridge a Small Paradise."

The following account of the visit of the King and Queen of Belgium to the University was written by a member of the royal household. It appears in "L'Etole Belge" recently, and has been translated from the French for the CRIMSON by Yves Buhler '20.

"After dinner we visited Harvard, the great and glorious university, whose wish it was to have King Albert become a Doctor of Laws. Harvard is situated in the midst of a suburb of Boston, at Cambridge, which is a sort of small paradise of quietness, an oasis of green foliage where it must be delightful to study and to dream.

"The road our cars took to get there was lined with a huge crowd who cheered ceaselessly for the King and Queen, and, as we reached the vast gardens of the University, a thousand persons, most of whom were students almost deafened the royal guests by the noise of their reception.

"In the large reception room on the second floor, the King and Queen were addressed by President Lowell (one of the first to favor American intervention in the war as he did immediately after the violation of Belgium's neutrality), surrounded by all the professors in cap and gown. The King answered with a few words in English. He was then given a diploma, and our inspection of the University began under the guidance of the President.

Leopold Makes Special Tour.

"The Duke of Brabant, however, who had been committed to the care of a few students of his own age, expressed a desire to see that which the President could not show to the King and Queen, namely: the dormitories, the kitchens, the class-rooms, and so forth. He seemed delighted to escape for a while from the restraint of an official ceremony, and a scholarly ceremony, at that.

"While the Duke tasted of the daily food of the students, we visited the marvelous library, the study room where the students could be seen at work for they had not been asked to leave despite the royal visit, until finally we entered the room for guests of honor where the King and Queen signed the Golden Book.

"At last, after we had had a cup of tea with President Lowell, we rejoined our train again, followed by the cheers of fifty thousand motorists, who, in order to celebrate the victor of the Yser, not only shouted wildly but tooted their horns as well. What a glorious day this was!"