MOROSCO TO PROLUCE MORE PRIZE COMPETITION PLAYS

Several Dramas by 47 Workshop Authors Will be Put on the Stage In New York.

In order that the contestants in the Oliver Morosco Prize Competition who have not had their manuscripts returned to them may understand the delay, Mr. Morosco has made public his intention of producing some of the dramas, which, although not thought worthy of the first prize merit further consideration. Mr. Morosco has asked for a ten-day extension of time in which to re read the plays and communicate with the authors of those which he desires to produce, in the hope that his desire will culminate in contracts for the production of those plays.

This means that he is not only planning to produce the prize play by Miss Butler, but probably three more, the authors of all of which will receive royalties during the run of their plays.

Tribute to 47 Workshop

A striking tribute to the excellence of the work being done by students in English 47 and 47a, under the direction of Professor G. P. Baker '87, was given in a letter from Mr. Morosco to Professor Baker which reads as follows:

It may interest your class to know that the quality of the plays submitted far exceeded even my sanguine hopes. The value of the plays in this contest may best be tested by the fact that as a rule. I produce one play-in each thousand submitted for my consideration. That I shall in all probability produce at least four of the forty-two submitted is a criterion at least, of my own opinion of the plays."

The contest for a prize of $500 was open to any student, past or present of English 47 or 47a at Harvard or Radcliffe, and was won by Miss Rachel Barton Butler, a member of Professor Baker's course from 1915 to 1917. Her play was a comedy entitled, "Mamma's Affair."

The judges in this competition were Professor Baker, Mr. Winthorp Ames '95 and Mr. Morosco.

The production of "Mamma's Affair" will begin about January 1 at the Little Theatre, New York City and the cast will include many stars.