COLUMBIA FINDS "PSYCH" EXAMS, PROOF OF FITNESS

Director of Admissions Thinks System Worthy of General Adoption for Entrants.

The success of the psychological entrance examinations at Columbia and elsewhere in the country where they have been adopted, is beyond question according to the unqualified statement of Dr. A. L. Jones, Director of Admissions at Columbia. At Columbia the examinations have been established as a permanent feature and this recognition of their value will doubtless have a great effect all over the country.

The examinations were this year applied to the Freshmen entering Columbia, and the men who were accepted on this plan have in almost every case proved their ability to handle the work. All men who took the tests were divided into three groups, and of the first group only two have failed to rank near the top of their class. It is admittedly impossible to judge finally as to the value of the tests with only one year's trial but Dr. Jones is confident of their ultimate value.

Other Colleges Fall in Line.

The examination consisted of two parts: first, a preliminary personal inspection at which the candidate presented papers of recommendation from his school principal, and a complete record of his scholastic and athletic activities, and secondly, the written test. These latter examinations were designed to test the candidates ability to reason quickly and logically, and to show a certain working knowledge of the subjects he had studied at school.

A number of universities and colleges in the East have followed Columbia's lead in these tests, including Brown, Pennsylvania, Carnegie Tech, and many others.