Number of Deaths From Football In 1919 Season Has Been Only 5

Football, the most strenuous of American out-door sports, claimed five victims during the 1919 season. The number of deaths--the smallest in years--was five less than in 1918, and seven under the toll of two years ago. There were 18 lives lost during the 1916 season, and 16 in 1915.

Development of the open style of play to supplant the dangerous smashing game, is mainly responsible for the decreasing number of fatalities in the opinion of football experts. The dangers of a dozen years ago, when the old style smashing game included hurdling, flying tackles, and vicious offensive tactics, have been almost entirely eliminated in the new style of football.

Virtually all of the victims of the 1919 season were players not participating in games conducted under strict physical requirements. Defenders of the college sport pointed out that with one exception the victims were players who entered the game without expert training. The small number of fatalities this year was remarkable, as the game was played even more extensively than in pre-war days.