THE MELTIONG POT.

There is alarming evidence that what politicians and sentimentalists love to call the "melting pot" is fast becoming clogged with unmelted material and dross. For a number of years and enormous tide of immigration has been pouring into America. With woefully inadequate restrictions, all comers have been accepted without questioning there inherent fitness for citizenship or even their purpose in seeking a new land. Once the immigrant has been received into the country, we have trusted assiduously but blindly in the faith the some mysterious alchemy of the melting pot would eventually create a simon pure American out of a "foreigner," without any assistance or supervision on our part. The results of this system are seen in the foreign settlements which have now become a part and a burden of every American city, and in the prominent place that un-American labor is ocupying in disturbance throughout the United States at the Present time.

Such an element of unassimilated material within the nation is a dangerous liability. That part which is desirous of accepting America for better or for worse should be given every encouragement and opportunity to do so, but those who are here for other purposes, boding ill to American institutions, should be eliminated at once. These two divisions of the "foreign" element require of us education and deportation respectively. Until these two problems are solved, however, a third measure is immediately necessary. It is the rigid restriction or prohibition of immigration for the next few years. Each time such a bill has appeared in Congress it has secured stronger support, so that the present immigration bill is very likely to become law in the next few months. Its purpose is to safeguard the present and future of America from the dangerous accumulation of material, which the melting pot cannot assimilate. Without such provision, this un-American element may continue its present, open and secretabuse of the liberty which every individual possesses under the American system of government, a system whose over throw is plotted, though the plotters for the most part are totally ignorant of its most fundamental principles.