RHODES SCHOLARSHIPS

Cecil Rhodes established scholarships in Germany to bring promising young Teutons to Oxford in the hope of creating an international good-fellowship between the two empires. Ten years later the breaking out of war seemed to disprove the practicability of his theory. But only forty Germans made use of this opportunity and all of these were personally selected by the Kaiser. The future success of the plan elsewhere cannot therefore be judged by the situation with regard to Germany.

Too short a period has passed since the inauguration of this plan to determine whether it has helped improve the friendship between England and America. It is safe to say, however, that when fifty years have produced large numbers of Rhodes scholars in every state of the Union, there will be no doubt that the mutual understanding of national ideas produces national friendship which no complications can sever. So the scholarships offer an unparalleled opportunity today for public spirited men.

The University welcomes their reopening not alone because the men selected will enjoy the privilege of reading at the centre of Anglo-Saxon culture, but as well for their association with the British in their daily life. Moreover, the long vacations will give them months on the Continent to see and study Europe during this unusual period of rest and reconstruction. Surely this will create international good fellowship as no formal balance of power or league could do. We hope the time is not far distant when the French universities will extend similar opportunities.