A. B. - Bachelor of Artillery.

COMMENT

With the announcement today of the final plans for a unit of the Reserve Officers' Training Corps, at Harvard it is more than ever evident that the A. B. which many graduates of the university will receive in years to come will stand not only for the Bachelor of Arts of tradition, but for Bachelor of Artillery. Military training, as it is to be re-established next fall, will be a distinct university department. Men will major in the course as they now major in history or chemistry. They will study military science and subjects allied to it in each of the four years. They will take at least three hours a week of physical training in Freshman year and four hours a week in the other years. Finally, they will devote three summer vacations to intensive and practical training in summer camps. Then, if their work has been done well, they will have to their credit the regular college degree and army commissions to boot.

This new R. O. T. C. plan is the sensible and efficient way of using the present to prepare for the future-sensible because it does not interfere with the primary status of the university as an institution of higher learning and efficient because it promises to turn out officers possessing a broad foundation of general knowledge and with the practical training which modern warfare demands. The course will make no appeal to the student who seeks the easiest way to a college diploma. At best, the process of becoming an Army officer is serious business. Only by the hardest kind of work can a man become an officer and a college graduate at one and the same time. Boston Transcript.