GOURDIN 2ND IN JUMP EVENT

STEVENS FAILED TO PLACE AT PENN. RELAY CARNIVAL; 2 RECORDS BROKEN.

Philadelphia, Pa., April 25.--In the first day of the Penn. Relay Carnival at Franklin Field E. O. Gourdin '21 was second in his event while A. Stevens '19, captain of the team, failed to place in the weight-throw. Gourdin took second place in the running hop, step and jump covering a distance of 42 feet, 8 inches, one foot, 4 1-2 inches short of the winner. These are the only two University track men who participated in any of the events held today. In the contests tomorrow the University will be represented in the 2-mile relay, shot put, 100-yard dash, broad and high jumps, and the pole-vault.

Two records were broken today and the Pentathlon passed from the possession of Pennsylvania which has always held it to Georgetown University. Pennsylvania's Pentathlon discuss record of 113 feet, 10 1-4 inches was beaten by John Bartels of Pennsylvania, the former holder, by 7 feet, 8 1-4 inches. The other record broken was the javelin throw also by Bartels, beating Berry's 1915 record of 158 feet, 6 3-4 inches by 1 foot, 1-2 inch. B. E. Legendre of Georgetown University won the Pentathalon with 14 points, and Bartels of Pennsylvania, last year's holder, was second with 20 points.

The summary of the event in which the University placed is as follows:

Running hop, step and.--jump.--Won by S. Landers, Pennsylvania; distance, 44 feet, 1-2 inch; E. O. Gourdin, Harvard; distance, 42 feet, 8 inches; 3, S. Friedman, Pennsylvania; distance, 42 feet, 6 inches.