DEAN HASKINS AIDING SUPERCOUNCIL OF FOUR

AUTHORITY ON ALSACE

Professor Charles H. Haskins, A.M. '08, dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, has been appointed to the consulting body recently created by the supercouncil of four at the Peace Conference to determine the questions connected with the French claims to the Saar Valley.

Dean Haskins was chosen as a member of the delegation from this country to attend the Peace Conference in order to furnish expert information on various countries of Europe which would enable the Allies to make a just and enlightened disposition according to the principles of nationality. Professor Haskins has been especially assigned to a study of the Alsace-Lorraine question. Of a staff of twenty-three specialists under the general direction of Colonel House, the University contributed four, and Yale two.

Professor Haskins is a graduate of Johns Hopkins, class of '87. He studied at the University of Paris, at the University of Berlin, and in 1889 became instructor of History at Johns Hopkins. He was made Gurney Professor of History at the University in 1902 and in 1912 he was appointed Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.