URGES. 'HARVARD LEGION'

PLAN STARTED IN FRANCE

"I hope that the undergraduates at Harvard will form a 'Harvard Legion' similar to the 'American Legion' which has just been organized," said Lieut-Col. Theodore Roosevelt '09 in an interview with a CRIMSON reporter in New York on Saturday, "and I recommend that steps be taken at once for its formation and its union with the National Legion. As a result of the recent convention at St. Louis, the plans for the organization of an American Legion of all men who have been in the service of the United States during the World War is well under way, and local branches are being formed in every state. A Massachusetts executive committee has been appointed, and is now completing its organization. It seems to me that a 'Harvard Legion,' of the many members of the University who took part in the war, should be formed at once, in conjunction with the state branch.

Overseas Service Not Necessary for Membership.

"The three most important principles in the foundation of the American Legion, were adopted at the St. Louis convention. First, it was decided that the Legion is to be a civilian organization. There is to be no distinction of rank between members,-a private is to have the same standing as an officer. Second, the convention voted, that the Legion should be entirely non-partisan. Although it may later advocate certain national policies, it will always attempt to remain out of politics. The third decision reached at the convention was that the membership of the Legion will include all men who served in the army, navy or marline corps of the United States in the Great War, regardless of whether or not they have seen service overseas. The future policy of the Legion will be guided by these three tenets adopted at St. Louis.

"It seems to me that of the first actions of the St. Louis convention are particularly significant. The delegates voted down the 'Grab Bill' to give every discharged soldier six months additional pay. This bill had been proposed in Congress as a political measure in order to win votes from the many discharged soldiers for its backers. It was entirely unnecessary, as the $60 bonus law gave all the aid that was needed to get a discharged soldier back on the job. By repudiating this bill, the Legion showed that it intended to keep to its newly adopted tenet of steering clear of politics.

"By refusing to hold its second annual meeting in Chicago, the Legion made it plain what its action toward pro-Germans and former pro-Germans would be. Mayor Thompson of Chicago had refused to invite the French mission to his city, had publicly proclaimed Chicago as the 'sixth German city of the world,' and had shown his pro-German tendencies by many other actions. It seemed entirely fitting to refuse to hold a convention of American war veterans in a city which had re-elected him mayor.

Plans for "American Legion" Made in France.

"The original plan of forming an association of American War Veterans was started in Europe this fall, when a group of officers, meeting by chance in Paris, decided that there ought to be such an organization. Thereupon they called a caucus of representatives of all the units in the American army abroad, which met in Paris. At this larger convention, which came together early this year, the name 'American Legion' was adopted, certain paragraphs of the constitution were ratified, an executive committee was appointed, and it was decided to hold another caucus in this country. A committee of 200 was formed to make arrangements for the national convention which was held in St. Louis in May.

"By the time of the St. Louis meeting in November, we hope to have the national organization completed. Local posts are being formed in every part of the United States under the leadership of the committeemen appointed at St. Louis. It is our hope that every man who served in the Great War will join one of the branches, and we expect that the larger colleges will form units of their own.

Many Graduates in Association.

"Harvard graduates have played an important part in the organization of the Legion. G. G. Bacon '08 is the head of the Massachusetts committee and is in charge of the local organization in that State. G. C. Cutler '13, of Boston, C. G. Herbert '00, of Worcester, W. B. Cutting '00, of New Mexico, and B. H. Dibblee '99, of Boston, have all done important work in the Legion.