FACULTY'S APPROVAL SECURED

COMPULSORY ATHLETICS RULING NOW GOES TO BOARD OF GOVERNORS.

At a meeting of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences last Tuesday, the recommendation of the Athletic Committee regarding compulsory physical training for Freshmen, was discussed and approved. The ruling as it now stands will go to the Board of Governors of the Corporation, which meets next Monday, and will there be voted upon. The approval of this body must first be secured before the proposed order can go into effect. If it is passed, the ruling will presumably be in force with the beginning of the fall term.

This measure was drawn up some time ago as a result of the agitation in various quarters to increase the physical fitness of the average University man. It was found that the standard of college men entering the army was especially low, as was proved by the number of those rejected. Yale has a system of compulsory exercises for men in their freshman year, and this has proved an effective plan. It is expected that this measure, if carried through, will tend to produce similar good results here.