SOLDIER ATHLETES SAIL FOR INTERALLIED GAMES JUNE 3

FAMOUS STARS ENTERED

June 3 has been set as the date on which the soldier-athletes now in this country will sail for France to strengthen the team which will represent the United States in the interallied games to be held at Joinville-le-Pont, near Paris, from June 22 to July 6. Col. Joseph H. Thompson, who was sent here by General Pershing to take abroad the team selected by the Amateur Athletic Union, has decided upon this early date of departure in order that the contingent may reach France as soon as possible to complete the preliminary trials at Joinville.

Upon their arrival in France, the contingent of about 50 of the most prominent athletes who served with the army either here or aboard previous to the armistice, will be quartered in special army barracks, and will be given the benefit of special coaching and a training table. The group of picked athletes who are already in training in France will here join forces with those from the United States to form the complete American team. After the final selection, following the competitive tests, the entire aggregation will be under the direction of Lieut. Richard L. Byrd, champion discuss thrower, who has been appointed captain of the A. E. F. track and field squad for the interallied contests.

All of the Allies to be Represented.

The games are taking on the aspect of an Olympic meet, with every allied nation presenting a notable array of stars. The American Expeditionary Force organization numbers among its athletes such well-known track men as Lieut. Harry Worthington of Dartmouth, three times national and intercollegiate broad jump champion; Pat Ryan, holder of five world's records in the hammer-throw; F. C. Thompson, all-round athletic champion of the A. A. U.; and Lieut. P. R. Withington '12, former University track captain and two-mile champion.

A feature of the meet will be a ten-team relay race from Chateau-Thierry to Paris. Each team will be composed of twenty-five men who will run three miles apiece. The harriers will carry a message to President Wilson by a soldier who took part in the battle of Chateau-Thierry. Should this event prove successful, the marathon race will be held annually.