WHY EXCLUDE THE TRACK TEAM?

With the re-establishment today of training tables for men of the baseball team and the crew, the Athletic authorities of the University have taken a step toward the improvement of results in competition of these athletics. On the diamond and the river the University may expect to see a marked change in the future. But what of Harvard's achievements on track and field? Immediately the cry arises: "Why worry about the track team? Did they not make a favorable showing at the Penn games and swamp Technology in Saturday's meet?"

Fortunately it is true that as far as ability is concerned there is little wrong with the track team. But ability is not all. Training, especially that of diet, is more essential in the development of point-winners among the track and field representatives than in either of the other two spring athletics. Although the individual athletes have developed steadily throughout the season, there has been but little advance made in arousing that element most necessary to success in all sports, and so difficult to attain in the case of track: team spirit. In this affair of morale, the training table is fully as vital as to crew or baseball.

In view of these facts, and considering, moreover, that the team now appears to be rounding into form worthy of a high standing in the coming Intercollegiates, it seems unfortunate that the athletic authorities have not seen fit to include the track men in their plans for resuming a training table.