SCHOLARSHIP AND SPORTS DINNER SPEECH SUBJECTS

President Lowell and Prof. Merriman Discuss Different Phases of College Activity.

At a dinner given Saturday night by the CRIMSON to its graduate editors, R. B. Merriman '96 explained in detail the plans for compulsory physical training for Freshmen which is awaiting action by the Board of Governors. In his speech he emphasized the fact that it is the purpose of this new plan to keep as far from the feeling of compulsion as possible, while making certain that all members of the first year class take an active interest in the various forms of sport.

"This training", he said, "is planned to be essentially sport and fun, rather than routine and drill. There is no idea of having it supplant organized athletics among the Freshmen, but rather it shall supplement them, in that it will bring the majority of men out for teams, and thus supply material which otherwise might never be discovered."

The other speakers of the evening were President Lowell, Charles A. Wilson '69, Governor of Kentucky, Dean Greenough '95, and E. A. Whitney '17 former President of the CRIMSON.

In speaking on scholarship in the University, and the relation between students and faculty, President Lowell said:

"The faculty and institution of a university are for but one purpose--the mental and physical development of the students. But although they can help, the main test lies with the student himself." He then went on to say that statistics compiled by the faculty have shown that the attainment of scholarship in the Graduate Schools corresponds directly with that obtained by men while undergraduates in the University. President Lowell ended by pointing out that if a man puts his best into his studies and also into his outside activities the former will take less tme, and will increase in standard, while the latter will be much to develop him and broaden his point of view.

E. A. Whitney '17 told of an editorial which had appeared in the CRIMSON being translated into German and 5,000 copies of it sent as propaganda into the German trenches from Stokes mortors.