FRENCH G. P. F. RIFLE ARRIVES

COMES FRO ABERDEEN PROVING GROUNDS.--ON EXHIBITION SHORTLY

A 155 millimeter G. P. Filloux rifle of French type has been received by the Department of Military Science and Tactics from the proving grounds at Aberdeen, Maryland. The gun and carriage, which together weigh about twenty-five thousand pounds, were shipped by flatcar, and were unloaded and hauled to the University by one of the Holt tractors which are part of the equipment here.

Correspond to Our Naval Gun.

The French G. P. F. 155 mm. rifle corresponds to our 6-inch naval gun, and is mounted on a carriage with solid rubber tired wheels. Guns of this type were used in war by the U. S. Corps and Army Artiller, the personnel of which was composed for the most part of coast Artiller men. However, a number of the G. P. F.'s were handled by field artillery regiments and in the future, this calibre gun will be entirely taken over by that breach of the service; as its use falls under their work. This gun is considered the best rifle of its type in the world, and was used with great success in the world war. The projectiles used in it vary only slightly in weight, averaging about 97 pounds. The highest muzzle velocity is 735 meters per second, or approximately 2,350 feet per second, and the maximum range with the latest type of steel "stream-line" shell is 1,900 meters, or almost twelve miles.

The gun is to be used in the material course in the fall, and will be placed on exhibition as soon as possible.

Non-Commissioned Officers Arrive.

Last Monday four non-commissioned officers and two privates from Camp Devens reported for duty with the field artillery unit here. The detail came down in charge of First Sargeant John O. Witham, and is composed of the following men in addition to Sergeant Witham: Sergeant John Burns, Sergeant John John E. Bliven, Sergeant Joseph Barter, and Privates John C. Sweeney and Alfred G. Little. All of these men, who will aid in the instruction work of the unit next fall, are experienced. The majority have seen service overseas, while two wear gold wound stripes.