CAPTAIN HORWEEN

The election of Arnold Horween as captain of the 1920 University eleven is a striking tribute to his ability as a player and a leader. From the mass of material which reports each fall for the Freshman team, it is very difficult for an individual to rise to an outstanding position without the aid of a reputation as a "prep. school" athlete. But Horween, coming from a little-known institution in the middle west, became the star of one of the best Freshman teams that has ever worn the Crimson.

Throughout the past season, his first in "University" football, Horween remained cool under the most trying circumstances and played hardest when the outlook was most black. Against Princeton it was the example of his determination which kept the team fighting when all others thought the game was lost. As leader of the Harvard defense in the Yale game it was largely due to his combined judgement and strength that Braden was stopped a few inches short of the goal line. At Pasadena, where he won for himself the name of "Eagle Rock," his defensive power was again outstanding.

The University eleven is to be congratulated on having as a captain a man who has shown himself a natural athlete, a cool-headed general and a fighter 'till the last whistle.