G. OWEN CHOSEN TO PILOT FRESHMEN THROUGH SEASON

Brilliant Defensive Player is Most Dependable Man in Yearling Line-up.

George Owen Jr., of Newton, was yesterday unanimously elected captain of the 1923 hockey team at a meeting of the squad held after the regular practice.

Owen played hockey on the Newton High team during the years that he was at that school and captained the team in his Senior year there. This year he has been playing an excellent game at coverpoint for the yearlings. He has played in every game and has netted nearly a third of all the goals scored. Not only is he the mainstay of the Freshman defense, but he is one of the most powerful offensive players on the team.

Owen also was a member of the 1923 football team playing a regular position at right halfback. He virtually won the Yale Freshman football game by scoring the Crimson's only touchdown on a lineplunge after having previously run 47 yards.

Tech Freshman Game Cancelled.

No hockey game between the Freshmen and Massachusetts Institute of Technology 1923 was played yesterday, since the M.I.T. management sent word at the last minute that they would be unable to play. A scrimmage between two Freshman teams was therefore held Team A consisting of the regular defense and a second-string forward line, while Team B was made up of the first team forwards and a substitute defense. Both teams were made up of six men only, as Coach L. M. Lombard '17 is training his men for the Yale game which will be played in the Pavilion, where only the six-man game is possible.

The entire squad was first given practice in offensive and defensive work, rassing and shooting. Owen and Larocque featured in the scrimmage.