TOPIARIAN CONTEST THIS WEEK

Architectural Trophy Competition Held for First Time Since War.

The annual competition for the Topiarian Club Trophy will be held for the next three days in the School of Landscape Architecture. It is open to members of Landscape Architecture 2 and 3. The subject, a problem in landscape architecture, will not be announced in advance.

Topographic maps and other data will be given out to the competitors at 8.45 o'clock this morning, and all designs must be handed in at the office of the school on or before 10 o'clock Thursday evening. First, second and third places will be awarded at the judgment, the date of which will be announced shortly. The winner will have his name inscribed on the trophy and will have possession of it until the next competition.

The trophy is a cup given in the spring of 1912 by an unknown donor. The contest, which is the ninth since its starting, was for a time held semi-yearly and was omitted during the war. It was last won in 1917 by Hadden Alexander M. L. A. '17. Two well-known architects who were the winners of this trophy are H. L. Whitney '10, who won the cup in 1912, now city planning investigator to the Boston City Planning Board, and Howard Norton '13, the victor in 1914.