CROWD OVERFLOWS UNION

HITCHCOCK DEFENDS LEAGUE

Representatives of four political parties of the country expounded the principles of their parties, and their relations to present day problems, in a political symposium under the auspices of the Student Liberal Club, held last night before an audience which field every seat and crowded the standing room in the Living Room of the Union.

Congressman Joseph Walsh of the 16th Massachusetts district summed up a few of the most important planks in the Republican platform in the opening speech of the evening. He was followed by Swinburne Hale '05, who with vivacity and humor, that nevertheless had telling emphasis, explained the position of the "brand new proposition"--The Farmer Labor Party.

After introductory jibes at his "old friend, Captain Hale," Dr. Norman Thomas bitterly assailed a system of life that did not produce "comfort and freedom for all." He explained that the Socialists had no cut and dried platform but were working for government in which "only the best motives were developed."

Senator Gilbert M. Hitchcock of Nebraska representing the Democrats, was the last speaker of the meeting. In ringing tones of conviction, he attempted to set aside one by one the "falsehoods" which have been spread abroad to "hoodwink the American people" concerning the true meaning of the League of Nations